Learn the science of the 6 tastes, a unique feature of Ayurvedic nutrition to insure proper digestion, assimilation of nutrients and elimination. The use of spices and sattvic food, based on grains, pulses and vegetables, savories and sweetmeats as prescribed in Ayurveda bring about a wholesome experience of wellbeing.
Learn the art of using Indian spices for balancing your specific condition. Foster good digestion, by preparing balanced meals, that are tasty and easy to digest food for the whole family.
THE SIX TASTES according to Ayurveda
- Sweet - provides nutrition and tissue build-up.
- Salty - retain water to keep cohesion in the tissues.
- Sour - promotes secretions for proper metabolism.
- Bitter - cleanses blood and toxins left along the gastro-intestinal tract.
- Hot - enhances agni (digestive fire), dissolves phlegm and has antimicrobial effects.
- Astringent - allows water absorption in the colon for proper elimination.
Split yellow mung dal
Kheer with saffron
Karuna Devi is a teacher of Classical Yoga, a student of Ayurveda, a practitioner of the four paths of yoga, and a dedicated student of Swami Sitaramananda and the teachings of Swami Sivananda and Swami Vishnudevananda. Bringing a brightness and sincerity to the teaching of Classical Yoga, Karuna Devi is dedicated to helping students create a firm foundation on which to build a successful yoga practice.